This topic contains 174 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 175 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi Janey. I’m pleased to hear your son is progressing well, it would appear ‘despite’ rather than ‘because of’ the efforts of your LEA. I can’t see a mad rush of parents moving into your area even with an ‘easy’ diagnosis if their reaction is nothing can be done so we won’t either.
    I appreciate your frustration with ‘PECS’ or rather the way in which it is being used. Normally you would start with photos, as we did, and ‘as’ and ‘if’ appropriate move on to diagrams and words. Our severely autistic son, who has only a few words of speech, wouldn’t use photos/pictures at home, which seems perfectly logical. Why would you show a picture of a loo when you know where it is and can go and use it? However, he would at school as he understood its significance there as doors had to be opened for him.
    Best of luck with all your school visits, I know we had to visit loads the length and breadth of the UK and we were amazed (+ & -) at what we found. Please post as to how you get on. Dave.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

Thanks so much for all your supoprt both on and off this forum, just wanted to update you all!
    We have indeed contacted Phil Hope (and Gordon Brown – for good measure) and now have a definitive list of things we must do to get back on the road, it’s not great but at least we will survive!We are planning to get back driving around in Spring. We are pleased to say that due to the demand by our lovely and loyal customers we are still offering appointments while off the road on Thursdays and Saturdays from Self Store Centre in St james Ind Estate, Corby, please feel free to call me to arrange – there is absolutely no charge unless a full haircut is completed so all children are welcome to book in for a tour, play or a nosey!
    07806 556346 x

Anonymous

Hi Nick,

Our son has received music therapy at his school for the last two terms and has really enjoyed it although it is very hard to quantify the benefit. It may be useful to contact your educational psychologist and ask for the contact details for a local music therapist (I’m presuming he/she is aware of one as they are advocating it)
    They may well be able to help you put together a report not only pointing out the benefits but also have some means of quantifying which may help your case with the LEA.
    If your son attends a special needs school it may well be the case that the school provides a degree of music therapy from a qualified practitioner as part of their curriculum, irrespective of it forming part of the statement.

Best of luck.
    Dave.

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.
    To be honest, at the moment he is going through a bad patch and is unable to access any therapy. Everything is causing anxiety and stress. the only way he can cope at times is by crawling into a corner of the kitchen and covering himself with a blanket and sobbing. very distressing as you can imagine. we are willing to try anything that may make a difference.
    Thanks again

Nick

Anonymous

Hi Nick,

Both our boys (15 & 13) drink from baby bottles. Our eldest drinks his juice warm. They can both drink from cups ‘normally’ but I think they find the bottles reassuring. I’d try leaving the drink in the room with him but not press him to take it. Curiosity will hopefully get the better of him and he will have a drink.

Best of luck,
    Dave.

Anonymous

we always have drink nearby but he just does not show any interest. he was drinking out of a baby bottle but now that is just used more for comfort (or throwing)

thanks

Nick

Anonymous

Hi Nick,

We have similar periods with our ‘lower functioning’ son, thankfully not so freqently recently but we certainly know how upsetting it is to feel so ‘powerless’. Initially our son would self injure as well and any intervention from us would result in more violent attacks on himself as well as us. However as he has gotten older he seems able to detect these feelings building and seeks us out to cuddle and hug him and sometimes he can prevent a full blown ‘upset’ occuring. I wish I had some ideas for you but we found things just got better with time as our son became more familiar with himself. Hope things improve for you soon.

Dave.

Anonymous

We used to get whacked on the head by a flying bottle when out driving. Then you’d just hear the word ‘joo’ from the back when he fancied another ‘shot’.
    Hopefully somebody will have a more inspired idea than the bottle.
    Dave.

Anonymous

Thanks Dave

Anonymous

Anonymous
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 175 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.